eSports is changing the dynamics in game development and player participation. With impressive titles delivered regularly, gamers can easily find titles that suit their lifestyles and personalities. But there’s one aspect of eSports that’s under-appreciated by many: betting. Today, you’ll find dozens of eSports and Dota 2 betting sites that offer enthusiasts a chance to follow the tournaments and bet on their outcomes.
As one of the fastest segments in online gambling, betting on popular games like Defense of the Ancients (Dota 2) offers customers a variety of betting options topped with lucrative bonuses and promotions. You’ll also find high-level Dota tournaments and a growing network of sites focused on skins, items, and playing tips.
And with the support of a vibrant community composed of young players, the rush and thrill of competition to win in many betting sites are hard to deny. In short, Dota 2 betting sites also offer exciting betting opportunities while following your favorite game. However, just like in other forms of gambling, it pays to be informed and ready when signing up for these sites. If you’re planning to play Dota 2 bets, then check out the following guide on how you can start.
What is eSports Betting?
The term ‘eSports’ refers to competitive gaming through the use of video games. Just like in traditional sports like tennis and basketball, eSports allow players to compete in matches and tournaments. Its popularity gave rise to eSports betting or wagering on the outcome of the games. In eSports gaming, punters can place their bets on popular video games like Counter-Strike, League of Legends, Call of Duty, Fortnite, and Dota 2. Of these popular games, Dota 2 is considered the most popular.
Sportsbook focused on eSports
Safe and secure website
Live Chat available
up to $100
Popular Bets to Play in a Dota 2 Betting Sites
Just like in other forms of betting, access to information is important if you want to become successful in eSports. And one important information that you should know in this type of gambling is the different Dota 2 bets to play. Some of the popular online gambling bets to play are moneyline, handicap lines, totals, and proposition bets.
- Moneyline Betting. Of these bets, the most popular is moneyline betting. If you’ll survey the available Dota 2 betting sites, there’s a big chance that all of them offer this betting market. The idea behind Moneyline betting is to predict the team (or the player) who will win the matches. For example, in Dota 2 gaming between Fnatic and Optic Gaming, you will put your money on either Fnatic or Optic Gaming. In making a moneyline bet, the gaming odds will dictate how much you will receive if your wager is correct.
Here’s an example of a moneyline bet:
Fnatic 1:50 vs Optic Gaming 2.20
In the example above, the Dota 2 match is between two teams, Fnatic and Optic Gaming. If you want to play your wager right, it’s important to read and analyze the published odds. Based on the information above, Fnatic is slightly favored to win with odds of 1.50. If you place $100 on the team and it wins, then you can collect $150 as your payout (odds x wager). In Dota 2 betting sites, the odds are displayed in different formats like decimals, fractional, and moneyline. But in most Dota 2 betting sites that accept players from the Philippines, the most popular format is decimal.
- Handicap Betting. Just like in other sports, eSports betting also includes handicap betting. This is normally offered if there’s a heavy favorite in the field and the sportsbook wants to ‘even up’ the competition. Let’s say that Team A is a huge favorite as they play Team B for the championship. Here, the sportsbook may assign the odds of -2.5 for Team A. This means that Team A should win by more than 2.5 games for you to win your wager. If Team A wins the match by 2 games, you still lose your wager. Handicap betting offers you a fun and challenging way of following the matches. Here, you’re not just concerned as to which team wins the matches. Your primary concern now is to follow if your team can cover the handicap set by the bookmaker.
- Betting on Totals. Compared to the moneyline, this type of bet allows you to predict the specific outcome of matches like the total maps played, total kills, total points, and the total rounds. In some Dota 2 betting sites, this is known as an over/under bet. You will decide if a specific stat, like a number of kills, will go over or above the target set by the sportsbook.
- Proposition or Prop Bets. These are your specialty bets and not all Dota 2 betting sites offer these options. As the name suggests, you are betting on a proposition that a certain event will happen, like how many kills a player will get in the game or which team will draw first blood in the match. If you’re passionate about eSports or know the teams competing in the matches, then this type of bet is highly recommended.
Parlay Betting in eSports
The most popular way to bet online is to pick a team that will win the match. This is called a single bet, and your payout depends on the published odds and your stake amount. For beginners, this system is highly recommended since it’s simple to understand and play. But aside from singles, you can also find other options to play your sports bets. One example is the parlay or a single Dota 2 wager that involves at least two or more teams winning. Here, you play a single wager that combines several bets.
The main attraction in the parlay is that it offers huge payouts if you win. But to win your parlay eSports bets, you need to win every single item included in the bet. If just one bet loses, you lose your parlay bet. Again, your payout is calculated based on the published odds and the amount you wager. This is a popular option in many Dota 2 betting sites since they are difficult to win. For this reason, many gaming sites make payouts lucrative. If you know the games and teams, then you can enjoy the challenges that come with parlay bets.
Read the eSports Odds Like a Pro
As mentioned, the odds play a crucial role in your eSports betting experience. If you visit some of the popular Dota 2 betting sites, you have probably seen the numbers in the betting line. These are your odds which can give you insights on the team or players to win, your payout, and potential profit. In most Dota 2 betting sites, these odds are displayed as decimals, fractional, and moneyline. Although the eSports odds are displayed in different ways, they all tell you one thing: the probability of an event happening. Described below are the three important odds format that you’ll encounter when predicting the results of matches.
- This is the most popular format used that can help you make informed predictions on eSports games. For example, a team may be assigned with odds of 2.50. In eSports betting, it means that for every $1 wagered on this team, you can win $2.5. In short, your profit is $1.5. It offers an easy way for punters to estimate their risks, thus a popular option in many Dota 2 betting sites.
- This is another popular way to display the odds for bets. Dota 2 betting lines may show odds of 3/1. This means that for every $1 wagered on a team (and it wins), you can collect a profit of $3. Now, if the site offers odds of 1/4, it means that you can collect 1 for every 4 units you wagered which is a less friendly option. This means that reading the gaming odds before placing your bets truly makes sense.
- Under this format, you will notice a series of plus and minuses, and its often used in many sportsbooks for US punters. If the odds assigned is -110, it only refers to the amount of money that you need to wager to win $100. Now, if the eSports betting odds is reflected as +140, it means that your profit is $140 for a wager of $100.
eSports Betting Strategies
An understanding of the different odds formats is critical if you want to be successful in eSports betting and gaming. Just like in traditional sports betting, your analysis and comparison of the published odds can offer you a more lucrative online gaming experience. To help you succeed, check out some eSports betting tips and suggestions below.
- Place bets in a reputable online sportsbook. If you want to take eSports betting seriously, then you need to choose the right sportsbook where you can place eSports bets. Look for websites that offer low margins so they can provide you with competitive odds. As discussed above, the quality of the sports odds defines your payouts and profits. When it comes to the search of the best sites, make sure to check the license and eSports coverage. Also, you may want to work with a site that offers lucrative promotions like free bets and reload bonuses.
- Read and research before you submit your bet. Sure, betting on outcomes is a form of gambling. But you can still improve your chances if you make an informed bet. The more you know about the teams and their backgrounds, the more informed you are in completing the right eSports bet. You can check previous match results, individual scores, and the streaks of teams and players.
- Don’t bet using your emotion. It’s nice to form an emotional bond with an eSports team. However, when it comes to betting, you need to be rational about it. Don’t let your loyalty to your team stop you from making value bets.
- Identify a bankroll and stick with it. A bankroll is the amount of money that you’re willing to spend on Dota 2 betting sites. It’s also the amount of money that you’re willing to lose when playing on these sites. Now, the budget varies from player to player. You can start with $100 or go for $200 every month depending on how much you’re willing to risk. Once you have set up the budget, make sure to stick with it, and never chase your losses.
- Don’t buy eSports picks online. If you explore the different websites dedicated to eSports betting, there’s a big chance that you have encountered some ‘picks’ for sale. These recommendations are from enthusiasts and punters and they will tell you that it can help you win bets. They are not experts and they’re on it not to help but to market their services. Instead, go for free tips and always augment these with your research about the teams, players, and tournaments. You can use the game analysis and reviews from experts to identify potential winning bets. By reading newspapers or checking out the blogs of experts, you can get picks for free. Also, the problem with paid tips is that you will have a hard time recovering the money you spent on these.
- Track different matches and tournaments. If you want to be successful, you should know the eSports industry. This means knowing the schedules of upcoming eSports tournaments. With this information, you can plan out your bets and come up with strategies. Some of the best Dota 2 betting sites today offer their customers an eSports calendar. This calendar lists down the schedule of tournaments and provides customers with potential bonuses. You may want to sign up with a site that offers this kind of tool.
Success in eSports betting requires not just the passion for the games but patience and access to information. Also, it requires signing up with the right online sportsbook that can offer you low margins, competitive odds, comprehensive coverage of the games, and lucrative bonuses. Once all these are covered, you can boost your success rate in Dota 2 betting sites.